Medinet is a provider of Access to PharmaNet in British Columbia. Health authorities use Medinet web-based tools to view patient medication history information and conduct Medication Reconciliation. Profile EMR does not perform any the functions provided by Medinet but supports Web based Integration allowing users to access Medinet via web browser by storing their Medinet User credentials.
Users are required to have an active Medinet account to access the Medinet tool on Profile EMR.
- Healthcare professionals must be approved by the Ministry of Health to use PharmaNet to care for patients and need to request approval by enrolling in PRIME, an online application
There are two separate processes: user enrolment and site registration (both require the BC Services Card app)
- User enrolment:
If the user is a registrant of a health professional College in BC, they will need your College license number and next renewal date
EMR users register to be part of the VCH Community Clinical Network (VCCN)
- Site registration:
Once the Ministry approves PRIME enrolment, a Medinet administrator in your site sets up your access account (PRIME does not create PharmaNet access accounts)
- User enrolment:
Each clinic has an Administrator who communicates with our vendor Medinet and only the Administrator can add and subtract users for that local site
- The clinic Administrator will provide the user with their username and password
- Medinet tracks user logins and automatically sends a series of 3 emails to a "stale user" when the account has been inactive for a period of 3 months
If the user does not respond to one of the emails by logging into Medinet, they will automatically be disabled
Note: Email EMRHelp@vch.ca whenever your login credentials change.
The Medinet button is located on the top main toolbar of Profile EMR. This is a button that will link the user to the Medinet website by opening the Medinet website and logging the user in automatically.
The first time a user clicks on the Medinet button will prompt the user to enter their Medinet Username and Password.
IMPORTANT: User's Medinet password should NOT have special characters.
Once users have entered their login information and clicked OK, their login information will be saved in the EMR registry and this login prompt should not appear again for them unless their saved login information is either no longer valid (e.g., password change).
MediNet Password has Changed
Once you have reset your password in Medinet, you have to update the stored password (encrypted) in Profile EMR.
1. In Profile EMR, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the MediNet button. This opens a window where the user can re-enter login credentials and then saved in the system.
MediNet log in error- password has special characters
When logging into Medinet through Profile EMR if you see the error: Sorry! The bookmark you are using to log in is not valid....
This is a password issue, the selected password has a special character in it and need to reset the MediNet password without any special characters. Alphanumeric passwords are accepted. Once the password is reset you should be able to log in to MediNet.
Unable to Access MediNet
1. Check that you have access to the standalone Medinet website
2. If you have access to the standalone Medinet website, in Profile EMR, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the MediNet button. This opens a window where the user can re-enter login credentials in case the wrong login credentials were entered the first time or have changed.
3. If you cannot access the standalone Medinet website, refer to Access
Unable to Access Medinet via Citrix Portal
NOTE: Medinet button is not supported in Citrix.
1. Launch Profile EMR through the VPP Applications Folder (instead of Citrix Portal)
2. If Citrix Portal must be used, you need to access Medinet through the standalone Medinet website
Medinet Menu Missing
This is a browser issue as the Medinet website requires a higher version of Internet Explorer.
Option 1 - Update Internet Explorer to newer version if possible
Option 2 - Access through standalone Medinet website using Chrome but user will have to manually search for client
Intermittent Error Window when Accessing Medinet
1. This generally occurs when there are multiple Medinet windows are open. Close each Medinet window after you hare done with it.
2. This may also occur when a user has clicked on the Medinet button too quickly. Ensure that you only single-click on the Medinet button, not double-click.
Medinet Website Accessible, but Not Med Rec Tool nor Meds\ Typing Template
This is most likely caused if you belong to multiple clinics to access Medinet and there are multiple Office IDs linked to your account. This results in Profile EMR not being sure which one to save and therefore Office ID field is left empty in your user account. This is resolved by the Profile EMR team manually adding it to your user account.
1. Log into Medinet using the Medinet icon
2. On the top left of the Medinet website, take a note of the Office ID (generally starts with an i, e.g., i2781)
3. Email this number to EMRHelp@vch.ca. See sample message below:
I am able to access Medinet website, but cannot launch Med Rec tool or the Meds table using typing template short code Meds\ My Office ID is: _______________.